Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Things that make you go hmmm...

I haven't written a ton of anecdotal posts on this blog, staying with evidence-based papers so that I don't fall into the typical softball pitching junk that plasters the internet constantly. However, I noticed something this past week about results that was a little profound, and it has to do with diet. I am weird. I admit that I think about things a little differently and I have learned to live with that. But everyday, for me, is another experiment, as someone who works out, eats right, and works with pitchers and hitters. I am constantly noticing and picking up on trends and when I see something that sticks out, I note it for further observation.

I noticed something this past week about my eating habits vs. my roommate that was really interesting. We have a rhythm to life. I work at night and he goes to bed early so I rarely see him when I get home, or during the day. When we do talk, he tells me that he is trying to eat healthy, and since he has some training as a chef, he has some options on how to do that. I also see that he puts a lot of vegetables in the fridge, so I assume that he is walking that path. I also see what dishes he uses because usually when I start cooking I am putting his dry dishes away. Here is where my observation started...

I cook all of my meals unless I am on the road, and as you know from earlier posts, I am eating paleo. The premise behind paleo is good, whole foods like meats, vegetables, fruits and eggs, staying away from the processed versions that put preservatives and other crap in your food. This lifestyle has helped me drop 22 lbs. and still gain 30 lbs. on my squat. I love what I am doing and I totally believe that everyone can benefit from what I am doing.

My roommate has his own version of eating healthy, which is totally fine. He likes to drink veggie shakes and cook his rice for his meals. I used to think that these things were good for a diet, but I realized that if you drink your nutrition, your digestive system will absorb the nutrition quickly and you won't feel as satiated. Therefore, you will seek more food, which destroys the point of eating healthy. Also, I think that our minds have been swayed by a lot of propaganda about grains like rice, which I remember thinking was healthy, and then brown rice which was supposed to be the healthy version of a healthy thing. Then I learned that, no matter what, rice is overloaded with carbs and has little nutrition outside of that (even brown rice). So we get hyperglycemic after our meal that we thought was healthy, and sure enough, can't understand why we can't look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club.

I learned all of this, and have changed my lifestyle accordingly. But with that change I realized something that was almost comical about how I eat... I never use spoons. I started to think about why but then I came to a crazy revelation... isn't just about anything you eat with a spoon unhealthy? I mean the obvious ice cream is well known to be bad, but rice, oatmeal, soup, etc. aren't good either. Now I can attest to the fact that I used to eat rice and pasta with a fork, but think about what you would eat with a spoon. Weird right?

Now, let me say that my roommates healthy habits haven't extended into the weekend yet either, averaging a pizza box and a pint of ice cream per weekend as well. But think about the fact that he hits a floor every time he eats healthy and can't lose any more, whereas I blasted through mine in a month. I know that my theory isn't completely sound, but the observation may be something you notice as well. Soon I will be bold enough to show a picture of my progress, not quite yet. However, to update everyone, on Friday I weighed in at 196 lbs. I came back to Texas at Christmas at 225 lbs. and started the lifestyle at 218 lbs. on January 27th.

So put down the spoons and eat some good food!

No comments:

Post a Comment